Heather L. Kawaguchi
With more than 20 years of experience and countless appearances before juries, judges, adjudicators, arbitrators and mediators, Heather is proud to be a founding partner of Kawaguchi Krajden, LLP.
As a civil litigator, Heather has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide array of matters. This includes first party claims, commercial and general liability casualty claims and short and long-term disability claims. Heather is honored to be selected by her peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers of Canada list in the area of personal injury and insurance law.
Heather is pleased to be offering her services as a mediator and as a private arbitrator for priority and loss transfer disputes. For inquiries regarding availability and scheduling please contact Denise Koroma.
Some of Heather’s more recent speaking engagements include:
- June 9, 2023: Canadian Defence Lawyers, Defending Accident Benefits Claims: A Crash Course, co-chair.
- January 28, 2022: The Advocates’ Society, Tricks of the Trade. Speaker on the Accident Benefits Update panel.
- February 23, 2021: Osgoode Professional Development, Accident Benefits 2021: What's New, What's Important. Speaker on the topic of Ethical and Professional Issues in Accident Benefits Cases panel.
- August 5, 2020: Ontario Bar Association, A Key Update on Accident Benefits. Panelist on the topic of Appeals: Reconsideration, Judicial Review and Appeal on an Issue of Law to Divisional Court.
- February 20, 2020: Osgoode Professional Development, Accident Benefits 2020: What's New, What's Important. Speaker on the topic of Life at the LAT.
- November 7, 2019: Canadian Defence Lawyers, Accident Benefits Fall Classic. Co-Chair of event and Moderator of Accident Benefits Power Panel.
- May 29, 2019: BDO Canada, Ottawa Accident Benefits Conference. Guest Speaker at event on topic of LAT decisions of interest.
- May 8, 2019: Canadian Defence Lawyers, YLD Practical Skills: Motions as Tools in Your Defence Practice. Guest Speaker at event with key topics including Pre-Discovery Motions, Post-Discovery Motions, and Pre-trial Motions and strategies and methods for preparing for these motions.
- March 25, 2019: Osgoode Professional Development, Accident Benefits 2019: What's New, What's Important. Co-Chair of event and Moderator on the topic of Ethical and Professional Issues in AB Practice.
- April 19, 2018: Canadian Defence Lawyers, AB Spring Symposium. Panelist on the topic of procedural tips and issues at the License Appeals Tribunal.
- March 26, 2018: Law Society of Ontario, Motor Vehicle Summit. Presenter on important decisions on liability.
- February 1, 2017: Medico-Legal Society, CAT-apult yourself into the new world of CAT and LAT. Presenter on Tope 5 CAT cases of 2016.
- October 6, 2016: Canadian Defence Lawyer, Accident Benefits Fall Classic. Presenter on broker’s liability.